Sunday, June 17, 2007

Lessons from my Dad


It's Father's Day, and I'm thankful for the fathers in my life. I'm, of course, thankful for my dad. I've always been somewhat of a "daddy's girl", and I'm definitely thankful that I have a father that I could feel that way about. When I was growing-up, my dad traveled a lot, and we traveled with him as much as we could. I think all of the constant "movement" and change of scenery that comes with a traveling ministry has allowed me to be more flexible now. I've also realized, as an adult, the sacrifices my parents made for the cause of Christ.

I think because my dad has always preached with conviction, I've been prepared for doing ministry with a husband who is the same way - Byron got this "come hell or high water" attitude from his dad - it's passed-down like that.

So, today I'm grateful for the strong fathers in my life: my dad, my father-in-law, and my husband. And I realize more than ever that strength and integrity aren't just natural, they are learned traits passed down from generation to generation. And I hope my sons will someday be fathers like that, and I pray my daughters are blessed enough to raise children with men who will stand against the wind. It's quite a ride!

P.S. Another thing I learned from my dad is how to swim - (thanks, dad for teaching me how to swim and how to live. I love you).

Peace and a blessed father's day to you.

No comments: